White Deer Land Museum

The Log House On White Deer Creek

The doorway on the south side of the foyer of White Deer Land Museum is flanked by boards carved with initials and other markings made many years ago.

Photo of Eloise Lane

Eloise Lane

These boards were part of the log house that served as headquarters for the Diamond F Ranch, operated by the Francklyn Land and Cattle Company from 1882 to 1886. The house, about twenty miles northwest of Pampa, was built of logs from cottonwood trees that grew along White Deer Creek in Hutchinson County.

In 1886, the Diamond F Ranch became the property of White Deer Lands. In 1910 and 1911, Harry Byers Price of Reading, Kansas, bought 44 sections of land from White Deer Lands and became the owner of the log house headquarters.

In 1911, Willis Davidson Price, Sr., son of H.B. Price, moved to the area of White Deer Creek to oversee his father’s ranch. At one time he and his wife, Margaret (Chatterton) Price, lived in a two-room frame- house that stood next to the log house.

W.D. Price, Jr. (Buddy) and Ida Ruth (Taylor) Price, who now live at the Flying W Ranch headquarters near the location of the log house, donated these boards to White Deer Land Museum in 1986. It seems appropriate that these boards from the first headquarters of the White Deer Land Company are now housed in the last headquarters building of the company, which discontinued operations in 1957.

Over 200 Articles, written by Eloise Lane, were published in the Pampa News. These articles may be accessed by clicking on each section below. A list of articles will be revealed that are linked to a page containing the text of the article.

Closed Accordian Default Hidden

Your content goes here. Edit or remove this text inline or in the module Content settings. You can also style every aspect of this content in the module Design settings and even apply custom CSS to this text in the module Advanced settings.

error: Content is protected !!